Thursday, March 7, 2013

Stonehenge

     We stopped at Stonehenge on the way to Matt's baptism. We have never stopped before. It is a fun place! It is a war memorial.
     It is officially called Stonehenge Memorial , Mary hill, Washington. The Stonehenge Memorial was built by entrepreneur Sam Hill as a tribute to the soldiers of Klickitat County, Washington, who lost their lives in World War I. Sam Hill's Stonehenge is a full-scale replica of England's famous Stonehenge in Wiltshire (see "Stonehenge, Wiltshire, England" below). Hill was a Quaker pacifist. 

 The site also includes monuments to the soldiers of Klickitat County who died in World War II, Korea, and Viet Nam. Hill's own crypt is a short walk southwest of Stonehenge on a bluff overlooking the Columbia River.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never knew about that when we were traveling. I wish I had, because Paul would have loved going, I think.

Men in a row

Men in a row
Men in my life Photo Jeri Mackley

Look at those guns!

Look at those guns!
Whoa, look at those guns Photo by Jeri Mackley