Monday, March 30, 2015

Happy Birthday!!

        Bruce's birthday! Bruce says he never paid much attention to birthdays. Now we are celebrating the fact he is alive and having a birthday! He got sung "happy birthday" to five times from family. 
     Bruce's whopper cake with curly candles. Rosala said she made one for Don, he liked whoppers too. 
   I ordered a wheel chair accessible garden table for Bruce's birthday. Edna from Eastern Oregon Nurseries said it would take two to three days to make once we gave her the dimensions we wanted. We called back with Bruce's size suggestions and it will be ready this week. If we like it we will order a second table. 
   I met with Kitchens by Terri to discuss redesigning the kitchen. Man, she is worth the money let me tell you! She knows her stuff. She did this three dimensional work up that was fun to behold. She is going to put in a touch faucet, leg room under the sink, a double oven gas stove with down ward vent (into out basement), the knobs will be in the front where he can reach them, plus the top oven he will be able to open and close himself, she wants to turn the French doors into a single wide wheelchair accessible glass door (I need to see out, some days I feel really isolated), for more cabinet space, a fingertip touch shelf that has replaced the old lazy Susan design, a place for the microwave that Bruce can reach, a side by side frig with accessible water for Bruce and pull out drawers so Bruce can reach the dishes. Ta dah Needless to say I am somewhat excited. I have been nagging, ahem, pestering Bruce to get the kitchen redone for years, I mean months. 
     Our oldest son Ben and his fam from Corvallis came for a visit. Three boys and two girls are growing up fast. They helped trim the evergreen out from and the the lilac tree. Ben and the two oldest boys returned on Thrusday. Duncan and Ben and the boys helped trim the hedge, mowed the grass and dug up some lilies and iris.
      OT they are focusing on standing, balance while sitting and rolling over.
PT is working on strength and range of motion from the hips down. He couldn't get his hips off the mat but he could decrease the pressure off the mat. Does that make sense? He could feel that not all the weight was on the mat.
   He stood three times for a total of nine minutes. 
   
     Sorry about the posts. I thought they had published. Will have to stay on page longer to make sure they do.
   Our friend Bertha brought over a delicious breakfast treat. Biscuits on the bottom with eggs, cheese and hash-browns for the mixture with her me made applesauce. Yummy!
     Rosala and Debbie continue to surprise with culinary delights every Wednesday. It is a welcome respite from cooking. The minestrone soup and hot me made rolls were a real treat. 
   Alas we have cooked up all the meals from Greenwood school. They were wonderful. Thank you Greenwood School for caring! I am back to cooking. It is not so bad. Sunday I do a crock pot roast, Wednesday Rosala and Debbie bring us a meal, Friday is pizza night so the week goes quickly. I will give Andrew and Duncan a night for meals. Andrew is finished with sports for the year, so we all have time. He needs to learn to cook for his mission.
   We have changed turning to once a night. Duncan comes in every night and does the turning. Yeah! I couldn't do this without him, family, all the school, community, church family and the home health providers and neighbors. This is not easy. In our women's conference this weekend the council was to face your trials with cheerfulness and patience. Bruce is doing that, I am struggling. This is harder than twins.
    Will take the shelves down in the kitchen, Andrew said he would help me and will move the frig today. 
     

2 comments:

lindsy said...

We are going to have to come back to see the new kitchen! We'll send some easy, yummy dinner recipes for Andrew to try :)

Anonymous said...

You and Bruce have both come so far, in different ways. I've enjoyed spending some time catching up today. Good Sunday activity. =) I hope you find a little time now and then for some CQ or quilting - that saved my sanity when I lost the numbness after Paul's death - took about 7 months to start coming back to life, and then quilting helped me stay in life.

Men in a row

Men in a row
Men in my life Photo Jeri Mackley

Look at those guns!

Look at those guns!
Whoa, look at those guns Photo by Jeri Mackley