Sunday, March 1, 2015

Four Weeks Home


     In OT they focused on standing. So they put Bruce in an easy stander and he was able to stand for five minutes. They are teaching him how to roll over. With help he brings his knees up and throws his arm out and over and twists at the torso. He could do it on a mat table. It is more difficult to turn in bed because of the blankets and he needs help moving his knees.
   In PT they focused on the step up machine. He is able to push both feet up and down. He said he loves the feeling of warmth and blood flowing in his veins.
   My friends took me to lunch at the Cock and Bull. It it's fun to get away. I was good and had a grilled chicken salad although the half sandwiches and soup looked mighty good too.
     My new glasses came this week. Duncan got a new pair after seven years.
Got the cap on my tooth fixed, wasn't as painful as I thought. Duncan got his teeth cleaned and no cavities after nine years... Is that my side of the family? The sweet dentist presented us with a water pick that attaches to the shower nozzle so Bruce can clean his teeth in the shower. Will have to figure out how to install it.
    Bruce had two bad days. He gets very tired and isn't able to do much but rest. He sits with his feet up. We watched an old Star Trek episode. Picard becomes a Borg. Pretty exciting stuff. Yes, we are Trekies. We live on the edge.
   Thursday was a great day. My friend brought me some pussy willows from her tree. 
Another friend brought over a delicious carrot cake with nuts on the frosting. Another friend brought over some eggs. Greenwood school sent over six homemade frozen meals. Thank you! I will try not to eat them all in one night...
    Here are the pussy willows and the the bowl.

   Bruce's friend made him a beautiful wooden bowl from a burl. The boys like the chocolate candy that was in the bowl.
   Another friend brought over some delicious raspberry banana muffins for Sunday breakfast. Yummy. Not many of those left.
   I am working on breakfast ideas. I bought some pre cooked sausage and microwaveable bacon. Bruce wants protein with breakfast. This really works as mornings are rushed with taking care of Bruce. I also found some good muffin mixes. Bruce's mom would not be happy as she made everything from scratch. So I scratched the muffin box... I brought a protein mix and will use it with breakfast smoothies.

    Bruce needs to drink more water and can't reach the faucet so we are using this despenser so he can get water when he needs it.  He has a problem with his left hand as it stiffens up but it worked just fine. 
   We are blessed with our friends and their caring thoughts and deeds. Thank you! It is what gets us through this ordeal.
    Our church family is still providing meals every other day. I asked for two more weeks. I am a weenie. I should be better at dealing with this.
      I am grateful for our son Duncan for being the family chauffeur. He also gets up every other night and helps me reposition his dad. I couldn't do this without him. My right shoulder hurts, I think it is from trying to do the turns by myself. Will be visiting the chiropractor later this week. I did figure it helps to cross Bruce's legs first and then do the rolling over. 
Thank you for your love and prayers. 

    

2 comments:

angela said...

Sounds like things are going better. You might consider the senior meals on wheels for lunch. I plan to get them here. I used to visit Sister Lester at lunch time some days when they came, and most days they looked quite good. She also really enjoyed that daily drop in visit from a person from the outside world. They always stayed to chat. I wish I could drop by and chat. I'm happy for Bruce's progress. Love you both. (and Duncan) GeorgAnna

Anonymous said...

You still have your sense of humor, so all is not lost. Thankful for Duncan to help you.

Men in a row

Men in a row
Men in my life Photo Jeri Mackley

Look at those guns!

Look at those guns!
Whoa, look at those guns Photo by Jeri Mackley