Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Daily Progress

     Bruce is making progress every day.
   In OT they have him sitting on a mat and leaning on his right elbow and he is able to do the lean and then push himself back up. 
     They are teaching him how to roll over. (He can already do some fetching on his own thanks to a grabber we have) he was excited to show us what he learned. He has someone bring both knees up, then he turns to his right. 
    They also stand him up on a stander. He did one minute the first time and then 
     In PT he has pool time once a week. He is able to move his abdomen up and down. She called it water crunches. That will help him be strong enough to do transfers. He can push off with both feet from the side of the pool. He does this on his own without help. 
     They put hm on a machine that he can move his feet. He is able to push down with both feet. He did it for ten minutes. He said he was able to feel the blood flow through his legs. He said he hasn't felt that in four months.
   The other day his left foot was turned funny on the wheelchair foot pedal. He was able to straighten it himself. Ta dah! 
  We got our dog back! She was excited to be here. She is a little nervous around the wheelchair but is adjusting. Andrew feeds and waters her twice a day. I told him he would have to take care of her because I am overwhelmed with caring for Bruce. Andrew agreed. Sonnet comes after school and takes her for a walk. That is very helpful! 
   Bruce has the pulleys he does at home, the elastic cords and the wax for his left hand. 
His exercise hand bike machine arrived and he uses it for ten minutes every day. Bruce is still napping during the day. I figure that is good for him. It is part of the healing process. 

  I haven't written in a while. Sorry, I'm exhausted. The night turnings are getting to me. I get grumpy, angry and resentful. Yes, I try to take naps. It is something I will have to work through. Please be patient with me. 
  We have help coming in two hours in the morning and one hour at night. The change has been over whelming and we couldn't do it without this help. Duncan is here during the day and helps with changes, the lift, and driving to OT and PT so I can have a break, clean the house and take naps. He even did a night shift for me and in the morning said "Now I know how you feel mom." He said he would help me every other night. 
    We got Duncan some new glasses, he hadn't had a new pair in nine years. I got a new pair for me, too. I hadn't had new glasses in four years. Time gets away from us.
    I also got my teeth cleaned. Boo rah. Duncan is scheduled for next week. I got a cap on my tooth. I love it. The kind dentist gave us a water pick that attaches to the shower head so you can clean your teeth in the shower. Yeah!  Who invented that? 
    Thank you for the meals. They are indeed heaven sent. 
Thank you for the treats! The boys and Bruce love them. And maybe I have eaten one or two. 
    Thank you for your prayers, it is what is getting us through this.
Thank you for your love and concern. This is a life changing event and we are all adjusting. 
 I told Bruce I didn't like this and how much longer. He said a little while longer.
    Valentine Fun! Thank you Rosala for the delicious beautiful cake.  Love the 'china' you sent and we are using it.  Thank you Heather for the botanical sunshine.  Thank you Bertha for the napkins. They make the month fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say that to Paul all the time, but he doesn't give away any secrets. Silent as the tomb. =P

Men in a row

Men in a row
Men in my life Photo Jeri Mackley

Look at those guns!

Look at those guns!
Whoa, look at those guns Photo by Jeri Mackley