Tuesday, November 18, 2014

River Dance toe special

     Bruce had a bad night last night, his arm hurts him. He didn't get much sleep.
 For breakfast, he had a waffle with butter and syrup, 2 pieces of bacon, I almost told him they sent only one piece, but I let him eat both, sigh, he drank his ensure and had two bites of his fruit smoothie.
    I let him rest til the nurses come in. They want him up and awake during the day so he will sleep at night. The chainsaw sound is reassuring to me.
      Not much happening here, stuck in the waiting room with a man in a diaper. (My sister says Diaper Man is the new name for a Senior superman) They are giving Bruce a suppository, lesser of two evils I suppose.
   They found Kenny, aka Diaper Man naked in the street. Apparently his stomach exploded. He has been here for nine weeks. He had cancer and they think it was a result of something done earlier. Very talkative, says he has another month to say here,  he is blind in his right eye, a viet nam vet, no balance, he uses a walker. He wants to get his only daughter some jewelry for Christmas. No I don't know any stores having a sale. He is waiting for his sister to come visit. He asked me to ask the nurse for a root beer. Now he wants me to get the nurse to take him back to his room. The nurse at the desk asked me if was room service. They brought him his root beer. I asked for a root beer float, just kidding and they said they would bring me one. Now they told him his room was wet, mopped the floor.  So they brought him a heated blanket. They are taking him back to his room. Bye my new friend.
   They are doing an X-ray on Bruce's shoulder. So back to the waiting, lounge conference room, which doesn't have any toys in it, just a TV, a  computer, table and a nice bookshelf. I found an interesting book about the Knights Templar or supposed places they have found evidence.
     I was telling Bruce about my new friend, he said I always did talk to strange men, meaning my biker friends in Union. I am sure you saw those pictures on Facebook. Kenny talked to me first. 
    So Bruce says he moved his left big toe up and it would spaze down. He did it over and over again. He figured he was doing a river dance. Also, also, this is good, the nurse Patrick last night was trying to find the peg tube, it was underneath Bruce, without thinking Bruce reached his right arm across his body and rolled up. Patrick found the peg tube and said " what did you just do?" Bruce said he just did it automatically. He hasn't tried it again.
    He is getting more realistic sensation in his legs. Before he could feel pressure when someone touched his legs and now it feels more like a real touch. Which explains why now he can feel me tickling his piggy toes.
     We did not get approved to go to rehab because of Bruce's issues with hypertension. So another week here to get him ready or until Dec. 1. They want him to be able to sit up to do therapy for 3 hours a day. 
    They set him up in a chair and he was able to eat most of the taters by himself. Lunch was roast beef, smashed taters, fruit cup and a Caesar salad. The PT lady, Aytree took him to the gym. He was able to sit up for 10 min before he got too dizzy. He doesn't have any strength and his blood pressure makes him dizzy. He just needs more time to heal. She showed me how to stretch out his legs so I can do that with him when she is not around. 
     They asked me if the man I was with in the lounge was dressed, apparently he has been in there before without anything on underneath. Oh my. They have had to take him back to his room and get him dressed. 
    Came back to the room and Bruce is now resting.
     For dinner Bruce had cottage cheese and fruit, a salad and  cherry pie. He didn't finish his pie.
Hmm, he must be sick.
  Falling asleep, will write more tomorrow.

1 comment:

GeorgAnna said...

sorry you didn't get approved to move, but wow, three hours of therapy sounds like he needs all the strength he can get.
And the moving sounds good, even little toes. Stay strong.

Men in a row

Men in a row
Men in my life Photo Jeri Mackley

Look at those guns!

Look at those guns!
Whoa, look at those guns Photo by Jeri Mackley