Friday, January 16, 2015

Happy Anniversary

     It is our anniversary. We have been married 36 years. We met on the Navajo reservation in Ganado, Arizona where we both were teachers at the high school. I taught English and two doors down a very handsome, single male teacher taught science. I asked him to move a file cabinet for me. He has beautiful blue eyes. Sigh I spent the day showing off our engagement photo. Who are those young hippie people in the matching shirts anyway? The picture is on Facebook, will have to figure out how to get it to this blog.
   Breakfast was very colorful so took a picture of it, blueberry crepes, scrambled eggs, toast, a fruit plate and cranberry juice.

    OT was the machine that stretches his hand, we call it the robotic hand, and then a wax job on his hand. She let me remove the wax and do a stretch.


      His hand is moving backwards in this photo.
   PT was ranging and stretching on the mat in the gym.
  Jeff called, he is our contractor, he was at the house measuring the bathroom for tile.
   Some one sent us a children's book called "Zoom" by Robert Munsch, who sent it ? It is fun! Thank you!
    We also received two angel statues from our new friends Tommy and James Thompson. They represent the prayers they are sending our way, the get well angel for Bruce and the caregiver angel for me. They are very nice and I love looking at them. Thank you for being so thoughtful and kind.
     I abandoned Bruce and left with three of my friends from La Grande, Ann, Carol and Nancy. We went out to lunch at Cracker Barrel. I had chicken and dumplings, the other gals had fish. Carol's handsome son Tyson joined us and he ordered the sampler. We ate way too much. Tyson wasn't scared of us and enjoyed his meal. I noticed a young lady in a wheel chair. She was very confident and made her way among the tables.
    After that very filling lunch we waddled off to a shop where we ordered tile for the bathroom in stunning colors, then to Costco and finally on to the mall for retail therapy. I'm tired. My friends have to drive home. Thank you dear friends for thinking of me and coming over for a fun, exhausting day! Drive safely. We can't do this without your prayers, visits and love.
      
   Returned to the hospital and they were trying to wake Bruce up for dinner. He was really groggy. He slept two hours from 3 - 5. He was worn out. He said he had done a lot of weight lifting. 
   We went to dinner, Bruce had lemon salmon, rice, small salad and chocolate ice cream. I was still too full from gorging at lunch time so I did not partake of any food. 
   After dinner we finished working a puzzle someone had started. I invited Pat to join us. When we finished the puzzle Pat was headed into the wrong room and a nurse caught her. She gets confused. I am grateful Bruce's brain is not confused.
     Bruce and I looked at consumer reports for the best buy on refrigerators and ranges. Did you know they make four door refrigerators? Interesting
    We ordered some snap on pants from Amazon and a pulley set for over the door for our home. 
    We returned to the room and Bruce did his pulley exercises. I helped him stretch out his left arm for the final stretch.
     Not exactly how I would expect to spend our anniversary or how our lives have turned out. We are going out to eat tomorrow at Olive Garden and gaze into each other's blood shot eyes and stuff our faces again. We are living the dream.
       Bruce and I say family prayers together before we read scriptures and tonight it was my turn to pray. I asked for a missionary opportunity in the prayer. I kissed my husband good night and clomped down the stairs. As I turned the corner I almost ran into a young lady. She was turned around and wanted to know how to get out of this place. I showed her how and then asked her if she was visiting someone. She said her friend or cousin I can't remember who had a spinal cord injury, c- 5. I said, "are you on the third floor?" She said, "yes" and I said, my husband is on the third floor c-5, c-6 spinal cord injury and we started talking away and she said her friend was 24 with a wife and 3 children and his wife was in school and he had no job or insurance. Well anyway more of his friends came out and they want to talk to Bruce tomorrow and maybe he can perk their friend up. 
    It is a scary thing that is happening, you are not in control and don't know what the future will bring. We are almost finished our stay here so we can shed some light on what has happened to us. I asked them if they had a church family and they said they knew a preacher in Nampa they were going to ask to come visit. I told them church and community are what is getting us through this. They said they have community support, they are doing a fundraiser and converting a mini van for him. We will talk with them tomorrow and give them some hope. 
   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh, memories of good times. You were such a cutie, and naive as the day is long. I loved you right away. I guess that means Ben is 35. =) The little red Luv truck. Driving back from Window Rock without chains. Flipping the car around to go the other direction when we didn't really want to! So many good memories. Bruce and Paul getting baptized. Elder Mexican, Elder Barrett. Quilting and Tupperware Parties. =) I'm glad you two still have each other.

Men in a row

Men in a row
Men in my life Photo Jeri Mackley

Look at those guns!

Look at those guns!
Whoa, look at those guns Photo by Jeri Mackley