Monday, October 20, 2014

Code

 I hope this doesn't sound melodramatic. This is scary, so please preview it before you share it with your children. I will try to tell it like I remember how it happened.

     Got two calls last night one at 10:16 and one at 10:40. Must have slept through the first call. Both from ICU, awoke to a nurse telling me to get to ICU that it was an emergency anhusband had gone down hill. I told Brandi and she said she would drive me as I was in no shape to drive. I called Ben and he said to remain calm and keep him informed. I called Brooke Thompson (a family friend that works at St Als) hoping he would be at work but he must have conked out at home. They have 24 hour shifts.
    Arrived at the emergency room and they told me they would be with me in a minute. I told the receptionist my husband was in ICU and had gone down hill. She got Jim to show us how to get there, while in elevator to third floor the nurse called and said he was stable. He had flatlined.
   The nurse Josh, explained, every night they give him a suppository at the same time to help get him regular. (Grape nuts works for me) Apparently the rectum is attached to the nervous system and that simulated heart failure. Alarms went off, his heart had stopped, the nurses called "code" which means everybody come. They started compressing his chest. They had an injection and the pads ready to spark him but they weren't needed, his heartbeat slowly returned. 
    I arrived breathless at his room to find the monitor stable, his color was good and his breathing normal. The nurse was explaining this was not an uncommon occurrence. I was just very pleased to see my husband. I called Ben and had the nurse explain all over again to him what had happened. Talked to Ben and he said good luck trying to sleep. Bruce was peacefully sleeping. Trying to sleep after an Adeline Rush is next to impossible. Needless to say my eyes look like puffy watermelons with baggy dark circles underneath. 
     Today was a slow day, I am beginning to appreciate slower days. He is up to four hours breathing on his own and the warm mist spray that goes with it. 
   They put an umbrella filter in his right leg. He has a blood clot which is not uncommon for someone who hasn't been moving for two and half weeks. Bruce had to sit for four hours with his legs down and head up. They gave him blood thinners to help get rid of the clot.
      The nurses shaved him. He is pretty handsome when he gets cleaned up. I put Chapstick on his lips and he puckered up for me. 
    Didn't get to move him to rehab today. When I called the insurance company they said they were waiting for the Drs report from the nurse and then the nurse said she waiting for the insurance okay. Bah humbug. 
   The nurse figured he won't be moved tomorrow before ten am and it will take two hours to move him two blocks away. (All the equipment) So that means I won't make it back in time to see our youngest son Andrew honored with the other Senoirs on the soccer field.  My heart is breaking, I need a clone. Is that a scary thought? Two Karen's?

Here's one for Bruce. Go Ducks! (the lovely finger in the corner is the photographers accent line) ahem
  

2 comments:

lindzandrob said...

Love you Momsie. I'm glad he's ok and you're ok. And I hope you get a good sleep.

Debbie said...

I think that my heart stopped just reading this. I will pray for more calm days ahead. So sorry that you have to go through this. You are always in my thoughts and in my prayers. Take Care,
Deb

Men in a row

Men in a row
Men in my life Photo Jeri Mackley

Look at those guns!

Look at those guns!
Whoa, look at those guns Photo by Jeri Mackley