Saturday, October 18, 2014

He Talks!

     The nice nurse shaved Grandpa K. He was being a rascal and moving the washcloth off his face. The nurse put it there to soften his face for shaving.

     He is talking! They let him talk for 15 min, he kept going for 20 min.
He is worried about his grapes in the garden. I told him Jean Rogers was going to juice them for him and he can make them into jelly later.
His said his voice was his life to teach the children. They gave him ice chips to swallow. He wanted apple juice. They said they would begin with water and ice chips and that it could be absorbed into the body if it wasn't swallowed correctly. He wants to get out of here. He said he wanted me to talk to Pres Chadwick about getting released from his church calling. I patiently explained that wasn't his decision, we shall see. 

    Ate lunch outside on a picnic table with the grandchildren. After potty breaks and hugs they left to return to their busy lives in Utah. Not too much whining and the grandchildren were good too. 
     This is the outdoor garden at the hospital, lovely family models. Notice how father sets the example of staying off the wall. He gets it from his fathers side of the family... My side would probably be hanging off the fence.
     Bishop Brent Baxter and Jay Blackburn stopped in for a visit, with a giant handmade card (I love the sunflowers) from the high school and a bag of goodies, games and cards to keep us outta trouble. It was good to see them and hear of the love and good wishes from the high school staff. They gave Bruce a blessing of peace and strength for the days ahead.
     
     Ray and Diane Anderson stopped by with a book for me to read to Bruce. The Lincoln Hypothesis by Timothy Ballard. It looks like a good choice. I have always liked reading books about Lincoln.
     This is an unusual plant in the front yard of my host family. I think it looks like an alien species of some sort. Will have to find out the name.
      Went for a walk. It feels good to move my muscles, must remember that when I move Grandpa K's legs for him. The PT showed me some moves I can use on Bruce's legs to stretch them out; the snow angel, and twinkle, twinkle little star for the hands. Must do it two or three times a day. 
     
    
     
     

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Happy Day! Like you said...baby steps. Glad your kids are able to visit. I think about you constantly. Keeping you and Bruce in my prayers. Take Care!
Love Deb

Men in a row

Men in a row
Men in my life Photo Jeri Mackley

Look at those guns!

Look at those guns!
Whoa, look at those guns Photo by Jeri Mackley