Saturday, October 25, 2014

Kiujoumljuuojhy

   Bruce is still cold this morning, I put a heated blanket on him and on his head. He says his feet are cold. He is breathing on his own all day. They put him on the vent at night. He talks pretty much all day. He seems saner this morning. I clipped his toenails and threatened to paint them pink, he puckered his lips at me. A Dr came in to figure out if he has a concussion or not. They will change his medicine.

     They want to put him on a standing board later today.

      Bishop Huntsman and Donna his wife brought Andrew by about 10:30am this morning. Our youngest son looks like he grew another inch while I was gone.
   
      Andrew and I had lunch in the cafeteria, cheese quesadillas, chips, a cup of Italian soup (sausage meatballs and some white, round pasta) and lemonade to drink. Andrew is still hungry. He found some Teddy Grahams in the car he is munching on.
     
    Bruce and Andrew are watching a soccer game, LA Galaxy vs Seattle. 


     Blanch and Walter Hutchison stopped by. They are on their way to a wedding reception. 
     Andrew and I assisted in getting Bruce ready for the standing board. Andrew wrapped his dad's right leg under the direction of the PT with a gauze stretch wrap and she did the other leg. I helped by holding the pillows. It's a gift. 
      Andrew says, "Dads not wearing any underwear?" Yes, he is young to be learning the ways of hospital life. Next we got the beds level. I'm holding a sheet now. What would they do without moi?
     With Andrew on one side and the PT lady and I on the other we slide Bruce by pulling on a sheet to the standing bed. He is strapped in and Andrew presses the up button. We got skills, what can I say? Once again I was helping by standing out of the way. Bruce is getting dizzy and nauseous now, and saying he can't breathe. I look down the hall and Luke and Fam have arrived. I embrace my delightful grandson, I mean my son and his wife. Bruce's mouth is open and making gagging noises so I tell Taylor we can leave with baby William and go down to a lounge area. We leave Luke and Andrew to assist the PT and we make a hasty getaway.
     Ten min later Luke and Andrew join us. They had put their dad back on the bed and he was resting. We go check on him and he wants to rest. So we depart to the mall for more retail therapy. 
      The original plan was for Andrew to spend the night with Luke and Taylor and the adorable baby William at the Thompsons and I go to my host family. Hello, someone forgot to tell Andrew and he doesn't have a change of clothes. That someone needs more sleep, sigh. So we went to the mall to purchase some clothes for the poor child. We found some shorts for him to sleep in and socks and a collared shirt to wear with his jeans for church tomorrow. It will have to do. We ate dinner at the mall. I found some styling walking shoes and a cover for this ipad. (don't tell Bruce I keep dropping it) Saw Michelle and her husband Andy they are from La Grande. 

      We drove to a Wal Mart down the street, with me following, I don't like to drive in Boise, only one car honked at me and I didn't scream once, so this country mouse is getting better driving in the city. We find an electric razor for Andrews chin hair, I mean hairs, ahem and some q tips. Why do my ears itch when I leave town? Is someone talking about me? I told the boys they could each pick a bag of halloween candy. Luke tells his wife, "it was on sale", yes alas, that is from my side of the family. Taylor stayed in the car nursing the three month old child prodigy. 
   I bid adieu and head for my host family. 
     Please do not judge me harshly, I have read accounts of women staying by their husbands side 24 seven in an ordeal like this. I choose to escape. I do not handle seeing my husband in pain, it tears me apart, my stomach is in knots, I do not sleep at night. I keep thinking we will awaken and this nightmare will be over. Night turns into day and this trial continues. One day at a time. 
   
     





      
      
    

2 comments:

Debbie said...

No....I would never judge you Karen. You are my hero. To take a break from the hospital is only self preservation. Hopefully this small respite gives you enough strength and courage to wake up in the morning and make it through the next day! Love you! Debbie Waite.

The M Family said...

When Grace was in the Nicu for 3 months, I would spend 1 week there, and then 1 week home with my other kids. I felt torn no matter where I was. You do what you can do. You are doing a great job. Don't feel guilty. Take care of yourself.

Men in a row

Men in a row
Men in my life Photo Jeri Mackley

Look at those guns!

Look at those guns!
Whoa, look at those guns Photo by Jeri Mackley